March 7th, 2005

Site under reconstruction

As you may have noticed, the site has been undergoing some reconstruction. If you have any suggestions, leave a comment on this post, and I’ll try to implement it if I can. For the news of the last week, please view the old website at http://www.sagoclubs.co.za/static/.
New posting will all be to this website. Also, please let me know about any broken links.

Many thanks to Ernest Lotter from the Maths department for installing and configuring WordPress, the engine this website is running on now.

Posted by Steve in Announcements

This entry was posted on Monday, March 7th, 2005 at 8:35 am and is filed under Announcements. You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

9 Responses to “Site under reconstruction”

1. Jaco says:

Steve,

The following suggestion for a change to the Pages menu on the left side on the template :
    Show the bullets; it is easier to read the menu

For Example :

Committee

Committee To-Do List

General Info

Cape Town Club
    Joburg Club

Well, it took me about 2 hours, but now I at least understand the basics of style sheets, specificity, and the DIV tag. Just don’t ask me to make the tags different for the indented stuff – the whole list gets generated by one PHP call, including all the UL tags.

3. Tristen says:

Steve,

How do I post pictures? I want to put up a map to JHB club in club info section. Do I use an img tag or what? And where should the picture actually be located (i.e. on your server (how do I upload?))?

Tristen

If you click on admin bar, you should get an upload tab. Then you can browse for the file to upload, and it will give you a bit of html to use for linking it. Cut and paste that somewhere handy in case you need it later – you can’t get it again easily. If it’s an absolute URL, delete the bit http://www.sagoclubs.co.za/ – I’d prefer using relative links as far as possible. Any more queries, post again…

5. Tristen says:

Steve,

I did what you suggested, but I don’t see the pic. Instead, box, red X and the text “Melville Map”. Here is the html code is used:

What went wrong?

6. Tristen says:

opps. Let me try that again w/o :

img src=’/wp-content/MelvilleMap1.jpg’ alt=’Melville Map’ /

Hi Tristen:
    first off, HTML is picky about quotes – you must use double quotes for the src and the alt, and most other text strings in HTML tags. second, the relative url shouln’t have the leading /, i.e. you need to use: wp-content/MelvilleMap1.jpg instead. I fixed it on the page – let me know if it’s alright now.

Hi, just some arbitrary suggestions:

1. Divide tournaments up into (a) future and ongoing events and (b) past events. Then we can remove the tournament announcement after an event has finished, and archive results and tournament reports so as not to clog up the current events section. We can also add short reports on our previous events – we’ve only had 3 biggish events in recent years.

2. Save space on the ratings list page by widening the local rank column by one character (or by abbreviating kyu as k) – will stop the double figure rankings taking up 2 lines.

3. Maybe put the beginner’s resources somewhere more prominent at the top of the page (this seems to be standard practice, presumably in the hope that beginners will arbitrarily stumble onto the page?).

Konrad

In response to:

1. All the tournament links are to current and future events, with the current events being highlighted at the top of the page. If anyone wants to submit a report on any past event, or wishes me to copy a report on a past event from the old webpage to the new, let me know. Once we have something like this, I agree we’ll need to keep them seperate.

2. Unfortunately, the column width is based on the number of characters needed across the entire table, and is autocalculated – this displays fine on my machine, unless I up the font size. But the k suggestion is pretty good – now if I could only edit the page with an editor that has search and replace…. (will attend to).

3. Good idea – I’ll have to think about exactly where, but I’ll do something about this.