October 21st, 2005

Commented teaching game: take 2.

Following my annotation of Tuesday’s teaching game against Aketa-sensei, I asked him a few more questions about it last night. Here is the updated version: Konrad v Aketa-sensei

Online replay here

Posted by konrad in Game records

This entry was posted on Friday, October 21st, 2005 at 12:33 pm and is filed under Game records. You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

5 Responses to “Commented teaching game: take 2.”

1. Hugo says:

That N2 variation, black is sacrificing his group for outside influence. Am I right in believing that, if black does get the first move in, that can still turn into one *huge* ko with black taking first? (Black has to complete the eye at Q4, playing P1 first seems to allow white to take the ko first, by creating a ko at Q1…)

Well spotted – I misremembered the sequence. I’ve updated the file (note new filename, the previous version still exists) with what I think is the correct sequence killing outright.

3. Hugo says:

In the original sequence, black sacrifices his group for outside influence, and can still save his group with ko. An “improved” sequence would be for white to kill black outright. The “new” sequence I see is black 34 at P5 instead of O4, and definately has black dead. What is the advantage of black playing this? Black would rather play with the option of a ko later… I’m missing something or the sgf is still missing something?

The difference is white 33 which is now at Q4 instead of P5 (I removed the incorrect sequence from the file). I put in the line with black 34 at P5 for explanatory purposes; the main line is still at O4.

5. Hugo says:

Ah, right, of course. I didn’t notice white was playing Q4 instead of P5, didn’t think through the sequence again. (Now white cannot make an eye.)

Thanks!