October 25th, 2006

Western Cape Closed Final Game 1

The first game of the Western Cape Closed final was played last night – the game hung in the balance for a long time until Lloyd played a “sente” endgame play too early, effectively handing me sente to invade his territory for what turned into a comfortable win. The game record (thanks to Andrew Davies), with some commentary by me, is available here: Western Cape Closed Final 2006 Rd 1 Photos should be added to the gallery soon.

Posted by konrad in Game records, Tournaments, Western Cape

This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 25th, 2006 at 12:52 pm and is filed under Game records, Tournaments, Western Cape. You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

6 Responses to “Western Cape Closed Final Game 1”

1. Chris says:

Does black 177 at R14 live? Even so, white still about 30 points ahead.

Yes, there’s no kill after R14.

My comments and opinions on the game and comments.

I felt 57 was bad aji keshi, since E8 gets black into the centre.

By the way, I called move 64 a pass, not move 65. Andrew was critical of 65 being small, though.

“By the way, I called move 64 a pass, not move
    65. Andrew was critical of 65 being small,
    though.”

Oops 🙂 As I explained, my intuition was that something around 64 is needed to prevent black causing trouble on the left side. I agree that it’s too small though…

“Move 130 (G5) is taking a big chance – you’re trying to take 20 points. Black may ignore the peep and try wrestle the game back with P10, which ensures your right side group gets isolated.”

Hmmm, you have a point – black should not respond immediately. The follow-up is much more than 20 points because it would remove all of black’s threats relating to cutting off the one-eyed group, and also I wasn’t under the impression that my right side group would die if cut off. But black can put me under serious pressure in sente, then come back and connect.

“Finally, after chatting with Chris, the status quo seems to be: black R14 for 177 is met by s13. If black tries to cut white with s12, white hanes at t15. Black cannot block at t14 because he loses both his first-line stones after white s14.”

No, after S14 black captures at T16 threatening another capture at S17. This is not a good ko for white because losing it will affect the corner group (and black has many threats against the central white group).

Lol. So that’s the ko Chris was talking about. I didn’t even notice it was atari when black takes T15. Our discussion was interrupted, but I thought he had agreed with me. Seems I was wrong. So after R14, White can force a bad ko for himself. Cool.

Pictures from this game, and the Challenger’s League, have been added to the gallery. You can check them out at: http://gallery.sagoclubs.co.za/v/tournament/wcclosed.