June 6th, 2007

Sydney Go Journal available from 361 points

Chris Welsh agrees with me that 361 Points, Sorin Gherman’s Go dedicated website, is a great Go resource. I mentioned it in my last piece on the WAGC roundup, but today I’m highlighting something else on the site: a free Go magazine.

It turns out that there is some agreement between 361 Points and the Sydney Go Journal, so the website hosts copies of the journal. There are 12 issues so far, featuring instructive articles, some pro games, game discussion, and tournament reports. It’s a nice mix for people who enjoy reading articles for a change, instead of simply solving problems or studying variations.

I’ve added 361 points to the link collection on our site under Resources: General. The Sydney Go Journal’s are available at http://361points.com/sgj. Enjoy!

Posted by Steve in Links

This entry was posted on Wednesday, June 6th, 2007 at 12:26 pm and is filed under Links. You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

6 Responses to “Sydney Go Journal available from 361 points”

1. Hugo says:

What rules do the Australians play by? Curious, considering New Zealand rules allow suicide… 😉 (Might have implications for oshitsubushi… considering that’s my favourite Go term, I don’t like New Zealand rules. 😛 )

Useless fact for the day!

I don’t know for sure, but New Zealand rules don’t have much effect on life and death generally. While you *can* connect stones which would otherwise not have been allowed due to oshitsubushi, the stones would then be removed, and your opponent can then play on the vital point to make 2 eyes. So the only difference the rules make is that an oshitsubushi situation provides an extra ko threat to one player.

3. Hugo says:

I realized that, hence “might have implications”.

I did think there might be some (highly contrived?) situation where it does work, but was too lazy to think further. Giving it a second thought, I was obviously wrong. (I’ll not go into details, basically, I was just hesitant to jump to conclusions.) Thanks!

4. Andre says:

Oshitsubushi = suicide play?

5. Hugo says:

While it is actually oshi-tsubushi, it is my favourite term because it just so begs to be split differently, elegantly expressing the emotions of the player who incorrectly expected to do some killing…

Andre: Oshitsubushi is the word for the situation where a player can’t kill a group by playing on the vital point of a usually dead shape, because his own stones fill the rest of the shape.

Details on Sensei’s library.