May 24th, 2008

WAGC preview

Well, I’m about to pack my bags and set off to Tokyo to compete in the World Amateur Go Championship. My preparation during the last few months has consisted primarily of being overloaded at work and not thinking about go at all outside of the odd Tuesday night when I managed to attend the club. But hopefully last weekend’s tournament will have been enough to shake off some of the rust so I can play some decent games. I’ll be flying from Cape Town on Sunday morning and arriving in Tokyo on Monday afternoon (Tokyo time). The tournament proper runs from Wednesday to Saturday, two rounds per day. I’ll take a laptop along so I can do some reporting back on the off chance of an internet connection and some minutes to spare; failing that (or in addition), I’m sure someone will post a link to the tournament result page…

Konrad

Posted by konrad in News, Tournaments

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 24th, 2008 at 8:51 pm and is filed under News, Tournaments. You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

7 Responses to “WAGC preview”

1. Chris says:

All the best Konrad. The WAGC website is available here: http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/amakisen/worldama/29/29th-top-en_ama.html

Yeah – good luck Konrad! (Thanks for the link, Chris)

All set in central Tokyo for round 1 tomorrow morning. I’m hoping my opponent (Christovao Neto, 1d, from Portugal) is as jetlagged as I am. I am 43rd seed out of 68. It’s quite intimidating watching people play practice games (of which there are a lot) – everyone is very confident and plays very fast, including the weak players. And the strong players are continuosly commenting – one can learn a lot just by watching (I’d forgotten what it’s like playing in Europe).

Tokyo is fascinating, but you’ll have to wait until I get back for the photo gallery 🙂

4. Chris says:

Konrad won his first game. The sgf of the game is available here: http://u-gen.nihonkiin.or.jp/client/gibo/Gibo_view_S.asp?name=http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/kifu/data/29WAGC_R1_43-57.sgf

Really small replayer, but go Konrad! Kill the invader!

Well that kifu is probably confusing, ending in a position where my opponent is actually ahead (pro analysis). At any rate you should be able to verify that the group can live comfortably, my response to him cutting and pulling out having been terrible and undoing the great position I had built up to that point. The original invasion should be easily killable.

To clarify – he’s an even slower player than me, and ran out of time (quite a feat, given that we’re playing with 90 minutes main time followed by Canadian byo-yomi of 15 stones / 10 minutes).

7. Chris says:

Konrad lost game 2 against Franz-Josef Dickhut 6d, the German representative. In round 3 he plays vs Ali Jabarin from Israel (Ali is 14 years old and ranked 4d)