May 29th, 2010

31st WAGC, Day 4

In one of the biggest upsets of the tournament, Lloyd beat the 5d player from Vietnam, Bui le Khanh Lam in round 7.

Lloyd WINS against the 5 dan from Vietnam!

Amazing game. I played more solidly than I normally do and when the time came for me to attack his invasion I was strong enough. He also played very solidly, I don’t think he liked fighting because he gave way every time I pushed. There were a few mistakes in the end game for both of us, swinging a couple of points either way. One of the referees helped us count because it was so close. I won by 2.5 points.

I am now on 4 wins out of 7. I just beat my target 🙂

In the final round, Lloyd lost to the 5d from Austria, Bernhard Scheid, for a remarkable final place of 29th (out of 60), with 4 wins out of 8. Lloyd was the highest placed kyu player, with 15 dan players below him.

Posted by Chris Welsh in Tournaments, WAGC

This entry was posted on Saturday, May 29th, 2010 at 9:15 pm and is filed under Tournaments, WAGC. You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

5 Responses to “31st WAGC, Day 4”

1. Francois Van Niekerk says:

Well done Lloyd!

I don’t mean to take anything away from Lloyd’s achievement, but isn’t Bui le Khanh Lam a 5k?

2. Chris says:

According to the initial entry forms, yes, but not according to the official scorecard. I know kamazyn still has him as 5k, but most sources indicate 5d. For reference, in five of his other games against dan players, he lost three games to 5d players, and beat two 1d players. Not exactly definitive, but clearly, he’s not a 5k.

3. Francois Van Niekerk says:

When I look at his results, it seems he is more likely a 5d. Besides beating two 1d’s he also beat two 2k’s.

I have confirmed (after some help from Chris) that the player was a 5-dan. So kudos to Lloyd for a good showing at the WAGC!

Another correction: Lloyd’s final place was a tie for 27th place, not 29th as originally reported.