Skip to main content.
March 15th, 2005

Tired of ads? Then register an account or login

Meeting records

Stellenbosch Go Club


Agenda: Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting
28 September 2006, Neelsie Student Centre, Stellenbosch

Invited:
Outgoing Committee: Steve Kroon, Jaco Swanepoel, Andries Kruger, Rory Beling, Florian Breuer
Other SAGA Council members: Konrad Scheffler, David Richfield, Chris Welsh
Other WCGC Executive members: Lloyd Rubidge
Incoming Committee.

1. Present and Absent, Apologies, Proxies

2. Ratification of previous meeting’s minutes

3. Concluded issues from previous meeting’s agenda and minutes

*Guide for new players – the guide has been completed and is in use.

*Western Cape Closed – the Western Cape Go Council has accepted responsibility for this tournament in future

4. Other issues concluded

No items

5. Report on ongoing issues from previous meeting’s agenda and minutes

*Weekly announcement of Go meetings and events in media – Jaco: report?

*Clocks – David has ordered the clocks but they have not yet arrived.

*How-to documents for other tournaments – Steve has nothing new to report.

6. New issues since the last meeting

*2007 South African Open – should we offer to host it?

7. Tournament reports

*2006 African Oza and SA Open – everything has been completed and finalised.

*2006 Western Cape Closed – Steve running tournament. No problems.

*2006 Stellenbosch Leagues – Rory running tournaments. Report?

*Third Quarter Handicap Tournament 2006 – Ben was to run the tournament – it was cancelled due to low interest levels.

*Stellenbosch 9×9 – Steve: I did not find a volunteer for the tournament, so I ran it. It went well, with us fitting 5 rounds in, but a lack of fixed format messed things up a little. Also, it was felt that 6.5 komi was excessive, and that it would be good if auction komi were used in future years.

*Stellenbosch Open – Flo ran a successful tournament.

*Fourth Quarter Handicap Tournament – Ben has been appointed tournament director.

8. Financial report on 15/9/06

Opening balance on 31/5/06:         R1476
Plus Donations:                     R 210
Plus Income from Stellenbosch Open: R  40
Less Payment for 7 clocks:         -R1120
                                    -----
Closing balance on 15/9/06:         R 606 (all cash)
                                    =====

* Note that R1097 was donated for clocks (purchase in progress), while another R189 was donated for clocks/equipment/books. These funds will be used to subsidise the purchase of the clocks. Note that the final costs of the clocks have not yet been determined – the payment made was an advance to allow private purchase by David Richfield.

9. Assigning and transferring portfolios

-Old portfolios:
Steve Kroon – President, Equipment, Treasurer, Tournaments, Ranking System, Web Page
Rory Beling – Secretary
Jaco Swanepoel – Media
Andries Kruger – SAGA Council Nominee
Florian Breuer – New Players, Library

General committee duties by portfolio are listed on the club’s committee page on the website:
http://www.sagoclubs.co.za/stellenbosch-club/stb-committee/

A “to-do list” for each portfolio is maintained at:
http://wiki.sagoclubs.co.za/index.php/Stellenbosch_Go_Club_Committee_To-do_List
(Note that each person should keep his own portfolio’s list up-to-date).

10. Next year’s tournament calendar

– Stellenbosch Open (usually in August)
– 9×9 tournament (June-July university holidays)
– Handicap tournaments (one per university term)
– Leagues (just a deadline for starting the leagues, and a deadline for completion)

11. Matters Arising from the AGM

* Inform SAGA of constitution change, if applicable – responsibility of President

12. Other Matters Arising

*Club ladder: Steve has started a club ladder. He proposes that maintenance of the ladder be assigned to the ranking system portfolio.

13. Schedule next committee meeting

Usually there are four committee meetings per year, this one, as well as one each at the end of January, end of March, and one sometime in June-July.


Minutes of Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held at 14h30 at 50 Amatoni, Herold Street, Stellenbosch on 17 June 2006

Present: Steve Kroon
Rory Beling
Florian Breuer
Jaco Swanepoel

1. Steve Kroon opened the meeting.

2. Apologies: Andries Kruger (Proxy: S.Kroon)

3. Previous meeting’s minutes were read and ratified.

4. Concluded issues from previous meeting’s agenda and minutes:

– The website’s entry in “The Great South African Blog-Off” did not win any prizes.

– Flo has implemented the club library.

5. Other issues concluded:

– No items.

6. Report on ongoing issues from previous meeting’s agenda and minutes:

– Weekly announcement of Go meetings and events in media: Jaco had nothing new to report.

– Guide for new players: Steve reported that Flo had set up a draft and that he was looking at it before release.

– Clocks: Steve reported that David is still collecting orders.

– How-to documents for other tournaments: Steve had nothing new to report.

– Western Cape Closed: Steve reported that Stellenbosch and Cape Town are willing to pass the tournament to the regional council, but the regional council is still busy making a decision about taking responsibility for it.

7. New issues since the last meeting:

No items.

8. Tournament reports:

– 2006 African Oza and SA Open: Steve reported that the budget and some financial issues must still be finished, and a report on the tournament has been set up and sent to SAGA, but must still be sent to the sponsors and the Nihon Ki-in. In addition, we must get confirmation of acceptance of Victor’s qualifying for the World Oza.

– 2006 Western Cape Closed: Steve reports that he is running the tournament and that the tournament is underway.

– 2006 Stellenbosch Leagues: Rory reports that he is running both of the leagues and that they are underway.

– First and Second Quarter Handicap Tournaments: Hugo ran the tournaments, tournaments successfully concluded.

– Third Quarter Handicap Tournament: Ben will run the tournament.

– Fourth Quarter Handicap Tournament: Steve is looking for a tournament director to run it.

– Stellenbosch 9×9: Steve is looking for a tournament director.

– Stellenbosch Open: Flo has volunteered to run the tournament.

9. Financial report on 31/05/06

Opening balance on 10/03/06: R 1476 (all cash)

No money received or spent.
———-
Closing balance on 31/05/06: R 1476 (all cash)

Steve also mentioned that the club had received another R210 (R70 each from Reinhardt, Bernard and David) in donations since setting up the financial report.

* Note that R 1097 was donated for clocks (purchase in progress), while another R189 was donated for clocks/equipment/books.

10. Schedule next committee meeting:

The next meeting is scheduled to be held with together with the new committee directly after the 2005/2006 AGM on 28 September 2006. A possible change in the constitution regarding quorum requirements was brought up and will be decided at the AGM.

11. Matters Arising:

– Jaco expressed concern about the poor attendance at the club. Since there were no concrete proposals to address his concern, it was decided that no action would be taken, but committee members were encouraged to ponder the problem and potential solutions.

Agenda: Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting
17 June 2006, 14h30 at 50 Amatoni, Herhold Street, Stellenbosch

Invited:
Committee members: Steve Kroon, Andries Kruger, Rory Beling, Florian Breuer, Jaco Swanepoel
SAGA Council members: Konrad Scheffler, David Richfield, Reinhardt Messerschmidt
Other Regional Council members: Chris Welsh, Lloyd Rubidge

1. Present and Absent, Apologies, Proxies

2. Ratification of previous meeting’s minutes

3. Concluded issues from previous meeting’s agenda and minutes

* The website’s entry in “The Great South African Blog-Off” did not win any prizes.
* Flo has implemented the club library.

4. Other issues concluded

No items.

5. Report on ongoing issues from previous meeting’s agenda and minutes

*Weekly announcement of Go meetings and events in media – Jaco: report?

*Guide for new players – Steve says: Flo has set up a draft, I am looking at it.

*Clocks – Steve says: David is still collecting orders.

*How-to documents for other tournaments – Steve says: Nothing new to report. Still on low priority.

*Western Cape Closed – Steve says: Stellenbosch and Cape Town are willing to pass the tournament to the regional council, but the regional council is still busy making a decision about taking responsibility for it.

6. New issues since the last meeting

No items.

7. Tournament reports

*2006 African Oza and SA Open – Steve: The budget and some financial issues must still be finished, and a report on the tournament has been set up and sent to SAGA, but must still be sent to the sponsors and the Nihon Ki-in. In addition, we must get confirmation of acceptance of Victor’s qualifying for the World Oza.

*2006 Western Cape Closed – Steve running tournament. Tournament underway.

*2006 Stellenbosch Leagues – Rory running tournaments. Both leagues underway.

*First and Second Quarter Handicap Tournaments – Hugo ran the tournaments. Tournaments successfully concluded.

*Third Quarter Handicap Tournament – Ben will run the tournament.

*Fourth Quarter Handicap Tournament – Steve: looking for a tournament director.

*Stellenbosch 9×9 – Steve: looking for a tournament director.

*Stellenbosch Open – Flo has volunteered to run the tournament.

8. Financial report on 31/5/06

Opening balance on 10/3/06: R1476 (all cash)

No money received or spent.
—–
Closing balance on 31/5/06: R1476 (all cash)
=====

* Note that R1097 was donated for clocks (purchase in progress), while another R189 was donated for clocks/equipment/books.

9. Schedule next committee meeting

Traditionally, this is the last meeting of the committee for the year. However, the first meeting of the 2006/2007 committee is directly after the Annual General Meeting on 29 September, and you are requested to attend as part of the hand-over process.

10. Matters Arising

E-mail resolution passed on 18 May 2006:
From: Steve Kroon
Subject: Clock expenditure

The Western Cape Go council has decided to buy 2 clocks for use in the
Western Cape. In light of this, I propose that we reduce our club’s
planned spending on clocks from R1400 to around R1100 – this is the amount
donated to the club exclusively for buying clocks (R1097), so we can’t use
it any other way, anyway…

Please send in your votes,

Results:
Votes for: Steve, Flo, Andries, Rory and Jaco voted for, so the resolution was passed.

E-mail resolution passed on 17 May 2006:
From: Steve Kroon
Subject: WC Closed – transfer to Western Cape council?

Since there’s a Western Cape Go council now, there’s no reason for the
Western Cape closed to be run as the sole responsibility of the Stb club.
I suggest passing this tournament to the Western Cape council to organize
and run.

Please vote on whether you think we should do this.

(In practice, this probably would mean the WC go council will have to find
a volunteer or a volunteer club to organize the tournament, rather than
the Stb club committee).

Results:
Votes for: Steve, Rory, Flo, Jaco and Andries voted for, so the resolution was passed.


Minutes of the Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held at 14h30 on Saturday 25 March 2006 in the Neelsie Student Centre

Present: Steve Kroon
Jaco Swanepoel
Rory Beling
David Richfield (SAGA)

Excused: Both Florian Breuer and Andries Kruger were absent, and both had appointed Steve Kroon as proxy. Konrad Scheffler also indicated he could not make it.

1. Steve Kroon opened the meeting.

2. The previous meeting’s minutes were ratified.

3. Concluded issues from previous meeting’s agenda and minutes:

– Steve reported that all members have now received their copies of “Introduction to Go”.

– Steve reported that SAGA would probably not be buying the go magazines and that he will take the matter to the regional council.

– Steve reported that the Western Cape Go Council has been formed, with the Cape Town and Stellenbosch clubs as the founder members. Rory, Steve and David will initially be serving on the Executive for Stellenbosch and Chris and Lloyd for Cape Town.

– Steve reported that Stellenbosch Club was accepted as an Institutional member of SAGA on 16 February 2006.

– Steve has taken the Gauteng/Western Cape showdown concept to the Regional Council Executive.

4. Other issues concluded:

None

5. Report on ongoing issues from previous meeting?s agenda and minutes:

– Media report: Jaco has not made any progress with advertising club meetings and events in the press. He has, however, submitted the SA Go clubs website to a competition searching for “The Best Blog in South Africa”.

– It was decided to abandon the proposed Brackenfell school project.

– It was unanimously agreed that the proposed Neelsie demo game be abandoned.

– Florian has written a guide for new players which will be available soon.

– Steve reported that buying clocks in South Africa was too expensive but that he had a website that he could get the clocks from at a decent price.

– Steve had nothing new to report on “how-to” documents for tournaments.

– Florian is working on a new document for the library system and it is still in progress.

6. New issues since the last meeting:

No items.

7. Tournament reports:

– The 2006 African Oza and SA Open was held successfully.

– The 2006 Western Cape Closed draw has been finalised and is underway.

– Invites for the Stellenbosch Leagues are finished and there are now 2 Leagues underway. It was proposed that from next year, league entries would be determined by a call for entries, rather than the invitation system currently in use, in order to cut down on administration and shorten the administration time. The proposal was passed unanimously.

– There was nothing new to report on the 1st Quarter Handicap Tournament, the 2nd Quarter Handicap Tournament, the Stellenbosch 9×9 Tournament, or the Stellenbosch Open.

8. Financial report on 10/03/06:

The report was discussed and Steve proposed we keep aside funds for the next year’s locker rental, but that we buy clocks with the rest of the money, since most of the donations were earmarked for this purpose. The decision was postponed to matters arising.

9. Schedule next committee meeting:

The next meeting was scheduled for 24 June 2006. (Note: this date was changed to 17 June afterwards by e-mail).

10. Matters arising:

– It was voted unanimously to buy clocks to the value of R1350.00. On the basis of this commitment, David agreed to try and have SAGA arrange a bulk order including other clubs and individuals in South Africa.

– A proposal to resize the Stellenbosch Leagues from 8 players per league to 6 from next year was passed unanimously.

Agenda of the Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held at 14h30 on Saturday 25 March 2006 in the Neelsie Student Centre

Invited:
SAGA Council members: Konrad Scheffler, David Richfield, Reinhardt Messerschmidt
Committee members: Steve Kroon, Andries Kruger, Rory Beling, Florian Breuer, Jaco Swanepoel

1. Present and Absent, Apologies, Proxies
Konrad has apologised.
Florian has apologised, as he will be in the USA – he has appointed Steve as proxy.
Andries has apologised, as he will be in Villiersdorp – he has appointed Steve as proxy.

2. Ratification of previous meeting’s minutes

3. Concluded issues from previous meeting’s agenda and minutes

*Distribution of copies of “Introduction to Go” – Steve: everyone has now received their book.
*Buying magazines – Steve: SAGA says they will probably not buy them at all. I will take the issue to the regional council.
*Creating regional council – Steve: Cape Town and Stellenbosch club have signed the consitution, the executive is being formed (Steve, Rory and David will initially be serving on the Executive).
*Confirmation of SAGA affiliation – Steve: the club was accepted as an Institutional Member of SAGA on 16 February 2006.
*Gauteng/WC Showdown suggestion to Regional council – Steve: I will take the issue to the regional council.
*Search for tournament directors – Steve: this issue will be shifted to the tournament reports section in future.

4. Other issues concluded

No items.

5. Report on ongoing issues from previous meeting’s agenda and minutes

*Weekly announcement of Go meetings and events in media – Jaco: report?
*Brackenfell school project – Jaco and Rory: report?
*Neelsie demo game – Jaco: report?
*Guide for new players – Flo: report?
*Quotes and sources for clocks – Steve: report?
*How-to documents for other tournaments – Steve: Hugo is busy with a document on handicap tournaments, but no volunteers for other documents. Still on low priority.
*Arrangements for the new library system – Flo: report?

6. New issues since the last meeting

No items.

7. Tournament reports

*2006 African Oza and SA Open – Steve: The budget was vastly reduced, but we decided to go ahead anyway. The tournament was successfully concluded. The budget and some financial issues must still be finished, and a report on the tournament must still be set up and sent to the sponsors and the Nihon Ki-in, and a few other small unresolved issues must be sorted out.
*2006 Western Cape Closed – Steve running tournament. Draw completed, tournament underway.
*2006 Stellenbosch Leagues – Steve doing invites, being run by Rory. First league underway, second league invites still in process. Steve wants to propose doing away with invitation in future years, and calling for entries as with other tournaments.
*First Quarter Handicap Tournament – Hugo running tournament. Tournament underway.
*Second Quarter Handicap Tournament – Hugo will run.
*Stellenbosch 9×9 – Steve: looking for a tournament director.
*Stellenbosch Open – Florian will run this if he is in South Africa.

8. Financial report on 10/3/06

Opening balance on 17/1/06:         R   5 (cash)

PLUS: Income:
-------------
First League fee (Charl du Plessis):R   5
Donation (Andries Kruger):          R  15
Donation (Chris Welsh):             R 165
Donation (Reinhardt Messerschmidt): R 189 (*)
Donation (David Richfield):         R  30 (**)
Donation (Jaco Swanepoel):          R1067 (**)
                                    -----
                                    R1471
                                    -----

LESS: Expenses:                     R   -

                                    -----
Closing balance on 10/3/06:         R1476  (all cash)
                                    =====

*) This donation is for clocks or equipment or books
**) These donations are for clocks

9. Schedule next committee meeting

*Suggested date is 15 July 2006. (The 22nd and 29th of July are potential dates for the SA Candidates Tournament).

10. Matters Arising

*Disbursing money for clocks: Steve has a proposal to spend the club funds allocated to clocks.

*Steve Kroon has a proposal for modifying the league structure from next year, by (a) replacing the invitation system by a regular call for entries, and (b) reducing the league size from 8 to 6.

Ad-hoc decision passed on 25 February 2006:
It was decided that if 3 members were required to serve on the Western Cape Go Council, they would be Steve Kroon, Rory Beling and David Richfield. 3 members were indeed needed so these 3 people were proposed.

Votes for: Steve, Rory, Andries.

E-mail resolution passed on 21 February 2006:
From Steve Kroon:
Subject: Vote on formation of Western Cape Go Council

SAGA has approved the proposed constitution for a Western Cape Go Council in principle, which means it’s time to actually form the council.

The proposed constitution is at: http://www.sagoclubs.co.za/wiki/index.php/Western_Cape_Go_Council/Constitution

Please let me know if you vote for or against our club joining (and helping to found) the council.

Results:
Votes for: Steve, Rory, Flo and Jaco voted for, so the resolution was passed.

E-mail resolution passed on 2 February 2006:
From Steve Kroon:
Subject: Rescheduling Stb Open

The Stellenbosch Open is currently scheduled for 12 August, the same day
as my wedding. Can I have votes on rescheduling the Open to 5 August, the
previous Saturday?

Results:
The date change was passed unanimously.

E-mail resolution passed on 2 February 2006:
From Steve Kroon:
Subject: Rescheduling committee meeting

OK guys, we were planning on the next meeting being on 18 March, but the
first quarter Internet champs is on that Saturday. I guess as many of us
as possible would like to play, so how about 25 March?

Results:
Steve, Jaco, Rory, Andries vote for.
Flo might not be able to make it, but said it was ok.

The date change was passed.


Minutes of the Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held at 15h00 on Saturday 28 January 2006 at 50 Amatoni, Herholdt Street

Present:
* Jaco Swanepoel (JS)
* Steve Kroon (SK)
* Florian Breuer (FB)
* Andries Kruger (AK)
* David Richfield (DR) – invited SAGA Council representative

Absent:
* Rory Beling (RB) (Proxy: Jaco Swanepoel)

NOTE: These minutes lack some details due to the original notes on this meeting being stolen prior to the minutes being finally recorded.

1. Present and Absent, Apologies, Proxies

RB could not make the meeting, and appointed JS as his proxy.

2. Ratification of previous meeting’s minutes and minutes of AGM

These were duly ratified.

3. Issues in previous meeting’s minutes concluded

The only point requiring further discussion was:

* Dale Wilcox was never a SAGA member.

DR and SK explained the history of this point, and everyone was satisfied.

4. Other issues concluded

No further discussion was needed.

5. Report on ongoing issues from previous meeting’s minutes

* Buying magazines – Steve: SAGA says they will only buy them if no-one else wants to; we’re waiting for formation of the regional council.

DR informed us that SAGA was not likely to buy the magazines at all, even if no other buyer was found.

* Weekly announcement of Go meetings and events in media

JS had no developments to report.

* Brackenfell school project

JS reported that their main contact has left the school in Brackenfell. However, JS said he and RB would look into this again.

* Neelsie demo game

JS had no developments to report.

* Guide for new players

FB had no developments to report. He mentioned we were still using the old version of this document.

6. New issues since the last meeting

There was no further discussion on these issues.

7. Forthcoming tournaments

* African Oza and SA Open

SK reported that there were problems with the budget not being approved by the Nihon Ki-in. Preliminary accomodation and a venue had been located, but neither was finally booked. Some of the international guests had been finalised, and SK said he was in contact with Sakkie Buys about arranging their travel. Gauteng’s representatives were still to be finalised. Otherwise, SK said things were under control, but volunteers would be very helpful.

8. Financial report on 17/1/06

There were no further queries.

9. Library proposal

SK proposed that the club start a library based on books lent or donated to the club for this purpose. Books would then be lent out at a low rate (say R5/week) after payment of an initial deposit to use the service. Book donors would then be re-imbursed as far as possible from income on the book borrowing, and further funds received would be used as club funds.

A vote was held on the idea, and it was decided unanimously that a library should be started on this basis. FB, as librarian, was to finalise the details and implement the idea.

10. Schedule next AGM

It was decided unanimously that the next AGM would be held on 29 September 2006.

11. Schedule next committee meeting

The next meeting was scheduled for Saturday, 18 March.

12. Matters Arising

There were no matters arising.

Agenda of the Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held at 15h00 on Saturday 28 January 2006 at 50 Amatoni, Herholdt Street

Invited:
SAGA Council members: Konrad Scheffler, David Richfield, Reinhardt Messerschmidt
Committee members: Steve Kroon, Andries Kruger, Rory Beling, Florian Breuer, Jaco Swanepoel

1. Present and Absent, Apologies, Proxies

2. Ratification of previous meeting’s minutes and minutes of AGM

3. Issues in previous meeting’s minutes concluded

*Steve is tournament director for the Western Cape Closed
*Books and sets are now being stocked by the club
*SAGA has indicated they can not provide us with clocks at the moment.
*SAGA has been put in touch with Wizards’ Den about stocking Go equipment.
*SAGA and SAGC rating systems have merged
*SAGA does have scholar rates.
*SAGA have indicated that the 2005 WC Open will be considered a qualifying tournament for the 2006 SA Closed unless the qualification mechanism is changed.
*Aketa’s visit to Stellenbosch has proceeded well, and he will be moving on to Cape Town in a few days.
*We approached SAGA about hosting the SA Open and the African Oza. We have been selected to host the tournament.
*We have approached SAGA about hosting the AGM. They have noted our interest.
*SA Club/Team Championship idea passed to SAGA.
*Introduction to Go copies have been received and have almost all been distributed
*Dale Wilcox was never a SAGA member.
*Club policy document now available on web.
*Western Cape Closed preliminary format modified to a seeded double elimination tournament.

4. Other issues concluded

*SAGA informed of changes to club constitution.
*Locker acquired for the club.
*SAGA has approved the use of boards on loan from them for tournaments and school projects.
*4th Quarter Handicap tournament successfully concluded.
*Leagues 2005 successfully completed.
*Western Cape Closed 2005 successfully completed, both Challenger’s League, and Title match.
*Cape Town has agreed to us running the Western Cape Closed in future until they decide otherwise.
*Hugo van der Merwe has agreed to run the Handicap tournaments this year.
*Rory Beling has agreed to run the leagues this year, with Steve handling the initial invites.
*Steve Kroon has agreed to run the Western Cape Closed this year.
*Offers for help have come from Florian Breuer (Stellenbosch Open), Ben Bredenkamp and Andre Connell.
*New structure for Western Cape Closed completed – seeded double elimination tournament.
*SAGA rates for 2006 obtained, and membership payments made in time to prevent lapsing.
*At our prompting, SAGA put out a call for membership payments before the end of the year, preventing widespre
ad membership lapsing.
*Idea of a promotion at Maths Olympiad training camp abandoned.
*Aketa’s visit organised, financed, and accomodation found for his stay.
*Bridgehouse school project abandoned since Daniel says he will be at UCT next year.
*Minutes of previous AGM and committee meeting finished.

5. Report on ongoing issues from previous meeting’s minutes

*Distribution of copies of “Introduction to Go” – Steve: 4 people still need their books.
*Buying magazines – Steve: SAGA says they will only buy them if no-one else wants to, we’re waiting for format
ion of the regional council.
*Creating regional council – Steve: constitution and liaison with SAGA still under discussion.
*Weekly announcement of Go meetings and events in media – Jaco: report?
*Brackenfell school project – Jaco and Rory: report?
*Neelsie demo game – Jaco: report?
*Guide for new players – Flo: report?
*Confirmation of SAGA affiliation – Steve: waiting for a response from SAGA
*Gauteng/WC Showdown suggestion to Regional council – Steve: waiting for formation of Regional Council

6. New issues since the last meeting

*Quotes and sources for clocks – Steve: I’ve browsed the web a bit, and I can’t find decent clocks for less th
an R350 in South Africa. Internationally will probably be more expensive considering shipping prices. Will s
tay on it.
*Search for tournament directors and organizers – Steve: still looking for Toyota-Denso African Oza, South Afr
ican Open (I am handling these at the moment), Stellenbosch 9×9, and Stellenbosch Open
*How-to documents for other tournaments – Steve: Hugo says he will handle the handicap tournaments, but no vol
unteers for other documents. I have set this job to low priority if I’ve got to do it myself.

7. Forthcoming tournaments

*Western Cape Closed – being run by Steve
*Leagues – Steve doing invites, being run by Rory
*First Quarter Handicap Tournament – being run by Hugo
*African Oza – status report by Steve
*SA Open – status report by Steve

8. Financial report on 17/1/06

Opening balance on 15/9/05:         R170 (R150 cash, R20 invested in varnish)

LESS: Expenses:
---------------
Renting locker (17/11/05-31/12/06): R150
Padlock for locker:                 R 15
                                    -----
Closing balance on 17/1/06:         R  5 (all cash)
                                    =====

The investment in varnish was converted to cash with the sale of boards.

9. Library proposal

*Steve has a suggestion for getting a club library off the ground for discussion.

10. Schedule next AGM

*Usually a Thursday in September, but avoid school holidays. Suggested dates are 22/9 and 29/9.

11. Schedule next committee meeting

*Suggested date is Saturday, 18 March.

12. Matters Arising

E-mail resolution passed on 16 November 2005:
From Steve Kroon:
Subject: Locker and go sets

Sakkie has also given us permission to use the reserved sets for regular
club play (he will replace these 10 with the next shipment), giving us
even more motivation to provide a place to store the sets in the Neelsie.
In light of this, I propose arranging to hire a locker in the Neelsie for
storing equipment. In particular, I suggest the larger lockers, since
they are better value for money – currently R120 per year.

The usual contract does not include the holidays, but the people I have
spoken to indicate it may be possible to make an arrangement in this
regard. If so, this may also be useful while Aketa is here, if he wants
to be able to play in the Neelsie whenever he wishes without lugging a set
around.

The downside is that our club funds are currently R170 – R120 for a locker
(potentially a little more for the hols) and buying a padlock are a
substantial expense for us, and then we may not have enough money to pay
for the locker the next year.

I need your votes, guys.

I say yes, get a locker.

Results:
Unanimous support of proposal.

E-mail resolution passed on 15 November 2005:
From Steve Kroon:
Subject: Date for Oza and SA Open

I spoke to Sakkie over the weekend, and he says we must set a date for the
tournaments. I would like to hold it while Aketa is still in the Western
Cape, but also during term-time so that our student members are back in
the area. This basically means sometime in February. Too early in
February is tricky with Carnival etc, and also gives less time for
international people to arrange visa’s etc.

So I propose the last weekend of February: 24-26 February 2006.

Results:
Unanimous support of proposal.

E-mail resolution passed on 16 October 2005:
From Steve Kroon:
Subject: Proposal for new WC Closed format

My proposal for the new format is as follows:

The Challenger’s league and further stays as is.

The qualifying stages are replaced by a double-elimination knockout tournament (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_elimination), with players who reached the pools seeded into the last 16, and players relegated from the league seeded into the quarter-finals.

The winners of the Winners’ Bracket and the Losers’ Bracket then proceed to the Challenger’s league.

In future years, all players are seeded 2 rounds back from the round they are eliminated in the losers’ section (with players relegated from the league being seeded into the semi-finals).

Send in your votes: for or against. If you have more questions, e-mail or IM me.

Results:
Steve votes for
Florian votes for
Andries votes for

Final decision: for


Minutes of the Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held in the Neelsie at 19h30 on Thursday, 15 September 2005

Present:
Steve Kroon
David Richfield (old committee)
Rory Beling
Daniel Wium (old committe)
Florian Breuer
Jaco Swanepoel
Andries Kruger (only attended latter half of meeting)

1. Assigning portfolios:

Steve Kroon – President, Equipment, Treasurer, Cape Town & SAGA Laison, Tournaments.
Rory Beling – School Project, Secretary
Jaco Swanepoel – Ranking System, Web Page, Media, School Project
Andries Kruger – SAGA Nominee
Florian Breuer – New Players, Library

2. Transfer and discussion of unresolved/current issues:

– Hugo was selected as the tournament director for the 4th Quarter Handicap Tournament, Rory was selected as Tournament director for the 1st League.
– The WC Meijin still has no tournament director.
– The club had R150 in cash.
– Various books and sets for sale. Steve (Equipment) to handle this.
– Buying magazines with Cape Town: still forming Regional Council, but it seems SAGA are also interested. SAGA Liason to handle situation.
– Steve (President) to handle situation with regards to the Western Cape regional council.
– Weekly annoucnment of Go meetings in local newspaper to be done by Jaco Swanepoel (media).
– Go T-Shirts to be handled by David (i.e. issue passed to SAGA).
– Potential Brackenfell club: Rory and Jaco to investigate (School Projects).
– Neelsie demo game: David says costs will be low. Jaco will arrange this (media).
– Guide for new players: basic info on website, no action was taken – to be handled by Flo (New Players).
– Contacting Olympiad kids: Steve contacted most, but has lost the paper with the details of the rest. No further action will be taken.

– Other queries for SAGA (Steve to followup (SAGA Liaison)):
– SAGA providing us with clocks.
– Stocking Go sets at Wizards’ Den.
– Differences between SAGC and SAGA ranking systems.
– Official confirmation of club affiliation (SAGA Liason)
– Does SAGA have scholar rates?
– Was 2005 WC open a qualifier for 2006 SA Closed (SAGA discussing new SA Closed format)

– Visit by Aketa Katsuyuki is Jaco’s responsibility (Media)
– Potential for 2006 SA Open and Go Oza in Western Cape. Steve will follow-up (SAGA Liaison)
– Potential for SAGA AGM in Western Cape. Steve will follow-up (SAGA Liaison)
– The idea of a SA club/team championship will be passed on to SAGA by Steve (SAGA-Liason).
– Regular Gauteng/WC Internet showdowns, will be suggested to regional council. Steve will followup when the council has been founded.
– It was decided to ditch the idea of interacting with the Maties Gaming League.
– From 2004 AGM,”Ben Bredenkamp suggested we look into clarifying the authority the club and committee have over the club members.”. It was agreed that the club may request anything it wishes of its members, since members are free to resign at any time.
– Copies of Introduction to Go for new 2005 SAGA members, waiting for SAGA. Steve will follow-up (SAGA Liaison)
– Status of Dale Wilcox’s SAGA membership payments – Steve will follow-up (SAGA Liaison)

3. Next year’s tournament calendar

Date guidelines were set for the next years’ tournaments, including:
– Stellenbosch Open
– 9×9 Tournament
– Handicap Tounament
– Western Cape Closed
– Leagues

4. Matters arising

– SAGA membership expiring with new constitution.
– Policy record to be made available on the web. Steve to action.
– A change in format for the Western Cape Closed, Steve will send out the details to the committee.

5. Schedule next meeting
– Next meeting will be on the 28th of January 2006.

Agenda of the Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held in the Neelsie at 19h30 on Thursday, 15 September 2005

Invited:
SAGA Council members: Konrad Scheffler, David Richfield, Reinhardt Messerschmidt
Old Council: Steve Kroon, David Richfield, Andries Kruger, Rory Beling, Daniel Wium
Guest: Jaco Swanepoel (PHP Task force/website)
New Council.

1. Assigning portfolios

-Old portfolios:
Steve: President, Ranking System, Web Page, Equipment, New Players,
Cape Town and SAGA Liaison, Tournaments, Treasurer
David: Media, SAGA Council Nominee
Daniel: School Project, Library
Rory: Secretary

-General duties for committee:
Organise tournaments
Collect game records
Maintain ranking system
Update website
Bring sets to meetings
Take minutes at committee meetings as well as outgoing AGM
Liaise with SAGA, WC Go Council, and other external groups
Liaise with media
Provide place to buy books and sets
Receive SAGA fees
Call for players to join SAGA/pay fees at end of year
Handle fees and club money
Maintain membership and address list
Maintain email list
Promote Go at schools
Other awareness projects
Explain how system works to new players
Teach new players
Organise AGM and prizegiving
Report on club’s activity at AGM

2. Transfer and discussion of unresolved/current issues

* Tournament report: 4th Quarter Handi tournament, Leagues, WC Meijin
* Financial situation (including vouchers and SAGA money in hand)
* Stock situation: Books and sets
* Buying magazines with Cape Town: still forming Regional council, and it seems SAGA is also interested
* Situation w.r.t. Western Cape Regional Council
* Weekly announcement of Go meetings in newspaper: David?
* Go T-shirts: David?
* Potential Brackenfell club: Jaco and Rory
* School project reports: Jaco and Rory – Brackenfell, Daniel – Paul Roos/Bridgehouse (also Andrew’s project)
* Neelsie demo game: David says costs will be low, no action taken
* Guide for new players: basic info on website, but no action taken
* Contacting Olympiad kids: Steve contacted most, but has lost the paper with the contact details
* Other queries to SAGA (still waiting for response):
– SAGA providing us with clocks
– Stocking Go sets at Wizards’ Den
– Differences between SAGC and SAGA ranking systems
– Official confirmation of club affiliation
– Does SAGA have scholar rates?
– Was 2005 WC Open a qualifier for 2006 SA Closed (SAGA discussing new SA Closed format)
* Visit by Aketa Katsuyuki
* Potential for 2006 SA Open and African Go Oza in Western Cape (January)
* Potential for SAGA AGM in Western Cape (about June?)
* South African Club/Team Championship: discussion on hold
* Regular Gauteng/WC Internet showdowns: discussion on hold
* Interaction with Maties Gaming League: no action taken
* Link from SAGA website: Website no longer being updated, so no link
* From 2004 AGM, “Ben Bredenkamp suggested we look into clarifying the authority the club and
committee have over the club members.”: No action taken
* Copies of “Introduction to Go” for new 2005 SAGA members: SAGA waiting for stock
* Status of some SAGA membership payments unclear, e.g. Dale Wilcox: under disussion

3. Next year’s tournament calendar

– Stellenbosch Open
– 9×9 tournament
– Handicap tournaments
– Western Cape Closed
– Leagues

4. Matters arising

* SAGA membership expiring with new constitution
* Policy decision record

5. Schedule next meeting

Ad hoc decision by Steve Kroon on 30 August 2005:
I assigned Hugo van der Merwe to run the 4th Quarter Handicap tournament, and mailed the committee asking if there were any complaints. Everyone was satisfied with this decision, so the assignment was verified.


Minutes of Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held at 19h00 at 50 Amatoni, Herholdt Street on Tuesday, 26 July 2005

Present: Steve Kroon
Rory Beling
Andries Kruger
Daniel Wium
David Richfield (Excused for final part of meeting)
Jaco Swanepoel (Guest)

1. Steve opened the meeting.

2. No apologies were made as everyone was in attendance.

3. Previous meeting’s minutes where read and ratified.

4. Matters arising from previous meeting’s minutes:

– After feedback from Daniel on the interest in the Paul Roos Go project, it was abandoned.

– Rory and Jaco will report back to the council at its next meeting about a similar project in the Brackenfell region.

– David has agreed to try and have adverts for the Go club placed regularly in the local newspaper.

– The SAGA membership fees paid at the 2004 Western Cape Open were incorrect, the players involved have been refunded.

5. Tournaments:

– All voted in favor of changing the time limit for games in the 2005 Western Cape Open to conform to requirements for being a qualifier for the SA Closed. The new time limits are: 1 hour main time and 5 minutes per 20 stones Canadian byo-yomi.

– Steve proposed that the McMahon bar for the 2005 Western Cape Open should be set at 1 dan if appropriate, all voted in favor of the matter.

– All agreed on selecting tournament directors for every tournament, the tournament director will handle all arrangements for their specific tournament.

– David has organized the venue for the 2005 Western Cape Open, it will be held at the Stellenbosch Public Library.

– Daniel will arrange for clocks for the 2005 Western Cape Open.

6. Website:

– Steve proposed that we offer SAGA a login and offer to help relieve some of their effort by adding them to the website, all were in favor.

– Steve and Jaco were voted in as the new PHP task force to expand the capabilities of the website.

7. Constitutional changes:

– David has made us aware of some minor grammatical errors in the constitution, these were all discussed and the decision was made to propose suitable changes for the AGM later the year. Steve is to draft the changes.

8. Regional Council Constitution:

– Steve has set up a draft Regional Council Constitution based on the Stellenbosch Go Club Constitution but very trimmed down. Both the Stellenbosch Club Committee and the Cape Town club members (at the time there was no council for the Cape Town club) have agreed to the consitution in principle.

9. Matters Arising:

– It was decided that there will be a dedicated SAGA nominee on the committee and that the portfolio will be filled at the next AGM. David volunteered to stand for SAGA as the nominee for this years’ committee.

– Daniel is willing to start a Go in schools project in a private School (Bridgehouse) near Stellenbosch but he needs a partner to help out.

– The next committee meeting will be held after the AGM later this year.

Agenda of Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held at 19h00 at 50 Amatoni, Herholdt Street on Tuesday, 26 July 2005

1. Present and Absent, Apologies, Proxies

2. Ratification of previous meeting’s minutes
– Have printout at meeting

3. Matters arising from previous meeting’s minutes

– Outstanding To-Do List
– Print and Discuss each one shortly

– School projects report-backs
– Daniel
– Rory
– Andrew Davies (CT)

4. Tournaments:

– Future of proposed SA Club League (Team Tournament)

– WC open – requirements for SA Closed

– WC open – status

– Assigning Tournament Directors

5. Website

– Integrating SAGA

– PHP expansion task force

6. Discuss constitutional changes

7. Consider Regional Council constitution

8. Matters Arising

– Dedicated SAGA nominee on committee

– Bridgehouse school project

Ad hoc decision by Steve Kroon on 17 July 2005:
I assigned Hugo van der Merwe to run the 3rd Quarter Handicap tournament, and mailed the committee asking if there were any complaints. Everyone was satisfied with this decision, so the assignment was verified.

E-mail resolution passed on 4 July 2005:
From Steve Kroon:

I need a quick response here. There is a possibility that the Western
Cape will be given a chance to host the SA Open 2006 in January. If SA is
given the hosting for the next Toyota & Denso African Oza (international
tournament amongst other African countries), it will be co-hosted with the
SA Open 2006.

So, the vote is on – please respond:
Vote yes to support Stellenbosch club willing/eager to host the tournament
(please also indicate if you’re voting for willing or eager).
Vote no to say you don’t think Stellenbosch club should host the
tournament.

Results:
Steve votes yes: eager
David votes yes: eager
Daniel votes yes: eager
Andries votes yes: willing

Final decision: yes – eager.

Later votes: Rory votes yes

Resolution passed on 22 April 2005

It was decided that if it suited other groups better, the planned club championship could be replaced by a team championship, where clubs would be encouraged to enter teams to represent their clubs.

Agreed to by: Steve, Andries, Rory

E-mail resolution passed on 18 April 2005:
From Steve Kroon:

If you take a look at the SAGA AGM minutes (now available on the website), you’ll see SAGA is going to start issuing rank certificates for players: one at 20k, one at 15k, and one for each rank from 10k and up.

In light of this, I propose we reconsider our decision to award rank certificates at the club. In most countries, awarding rank certificates is the province of the national organization, and we were only going to do it since SAGA wasn’t, as far as I’m concerned.

So, send in your votes, folks:
Yes, let’s not give rank certificates anymore; or
No, we should still give rank certificates.

3 Votes in favour received by 18 April 2005: Steve, Rory, Andries.

Minutes of Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held at 19h00 at 50 Amatoni, Herholdt Street on Tuesday, 29 March 2005

Present: Steve Kroon
Rory Beling
Andries Kruger
Daniel Wium

Excused: David Richfield (Proxy: None)

1. Steve Kroon opened the meeting.

2. Apologies made for David Richfield who could not attend meeting.

3. Previous meeting’s minutes were read and ratified.

4. Discussion of points arising from previous meeting’s minutes:
– Steve Kroon will email Rory Beling the contact details of the Go players in the Belville area to help with future arrangements between such players.
– Affiliation with Stellenbosch University: it was decided not to affiliate due to the high numbers of members not involved with the university.
– It was decided to start a library. Daniel Wium was elected as librarian.
– Daniel reported that the school Go project in Paul Roos was up and running but was looking for ways to boost interest as the numbers were very low.
– Rory Beling reported that the school Go project in the Brackenfell area has not started: the idea must still be proposed to the schools in the area. He will report on his progress at the next meeting.

5. Tournaments:

– Steve Kroon proposed 2 new tournaments: a Stellenbosch League and a SA Club League (Team Based Tournament). It was decided to start the Stellenbosch League, and that our club would support a club league. Steve Kroon is to contact other clubs about starting a club league.

– A motion allowing for electing a tournament director for each tournament held by the club was passed.

– It was decided that SAGA membership would no longer be a requirement to participate in the Western Cape Open.

– Steve Kroon will confirm that the Western Cape Open 2004 was definitely a qualifier for the SA Closed 2005.

– David Richfield will ensure that WC Open 2005 is a qualifier for SA Closed 2005/2006.

– It was decided to rename the Western Cape Open to the Stellenbosch Open from 2006.

– It was decided that there will be a surcharge fee for non-SAGA members to all Stellenbosch tournaments, as these players are benefiting from the work that the Stellenbosch Go Club Council and the SAGA Council is doing, but are not contributing towards it. These surcharges will form a limited fund for club purposes (strictly cash) to be disbursed by the committee as they see fit.

– It was agreed that all tournaments should be self-financing, with its entry fees (without surcharges) subsidizing all its running costs and providing all prizes, if necessary.

– It was agreed that in order to charge fees and award prizes for tournaments, the tournament structure should be fair and provide a worthwhile experience for the participants. In light of this, (a) effort will be made to match players in the handicap tournaments in such a way that most games have low handicaps, and (b) the automatic loss for unpaired players issue in previous handicap tournaments would be addressed.

6. Website:

– Jaco Swanepoel was elected as assistant webmaster.

– Anyone requiring a logon on the website should contact Steve Kroon.

– It was mentioned that the website was considering expansion in terms of the following, although major changes would still be approved prior to implementation:
(a) Victor Chow may be making his new book on shape available on the site.
(b) The possibility of an e-Journal appearing on the site.
(c) A potential PHP expansion of website to handle club membership, the ranking system, participation points etc.

– Rory Beling was chosen to design a club logo.

7. Regional Council Constitution:

– It was decided that a Regional Council draft constitution should be based on the Stellenbosch Go Club constitution, modified to its specific needs.
– Steve Kroon proposed that all active clubs should have representatives on the council, rather than the Regional Council holding seperate elections. It was agreed that this would be included in the draft constitution.
– It was agreed that any local SAGA Council member(s) and Regional Council member(s) should be invited to all future meetings of the Stellenbosch Go Club Council.

8. Guide for new players:

Steve Kroon suggested that we create an A4 information page we can hand out to new club members, including the following:
– Meeting times and places of Stellenbosch Go Club
– Ranks and recording of results
– Basics on tournaments held by club.
– Pointers to website and the Stellenbosch Go Club Mailing list.
Rory Beling is to create the page.

9. Proposed Prizegiving:

It was decided to hold a prizegiving, including the following suggested prizes:
– Most improved: newbie, mid-kyu, high-kyu
– Most active
– Most successive wins
– Most successive losses
– Best win/loss ratio – with min number of games set.
The prize list is not limited to these categories. It was also decided to award rank certificates for members reaching 15 kyu or higher during the year. All prizes will also take the form of certificates. Rory Beling will design the certificates, while Steve Kroon will analyse the game records to find prizewinners.

10. Matters Arising:

– It was decided that a dedicated SAGA nominee should be on the committee in future years.
– Steve Kroon will email Sakkie Buys about obtaining clocks through SAGA.

Agenda of Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held at 19h00 at 50 Amatoni, Herholdt Street on Tuesday, 29 March 2005

1. Present and Absent, Apologies, Proxies

2. Ratification of previous meeting’s minutes
– Have printout at meeting

3. Matters arising from previous meeting’s minutes

– Outstanding To-Do List
– Print and Discuss each one shortly

– Affiliation with US
– 50% of members are affiliated to US. Most of these are weak players.
– Propose to vote this out, can be raised by anyone later again.

– SAGA is considering let us stock some books, too
– Should we start a library (also magazines)?
– Appoint a librarian?

– School projects report-backs
– Daniel
– Rory
– Andrew Davies (CT)

4. Tournaments:

– Suggested Future tournaments: Stellenbosch League, SA Club League (Team Tournament)

– Tournament Directors for each Tournament

– WC open
– SAGA membership requirement – keep or shelve
– Was the Stb Open 2004 definitely a qualifier for the closed
– Tournament SAGA fees differed from actual SAGA fees
– Who still has vouchers from 2004?
– Make sure WC Open 2005 is also a qualifier
– Change WC Open to Stb Open from 2006

– Fees and Prizes
– Surcharge for non-SAGA members (explain motivation)
– Surcharges form limited fund for club purposes – strictly cash
– Prizes from entry fees
– Tournament costs self-contained

– Conditions to have fees and prizes
– Lower handicaps in handicap tourneys
– Fair for unpaired players

5. Website

– Jaco as Assistant webmaster

– Policy of website with respect to other clubs, SAGA, and future Regional councils

– Potential expansion of Website
– Victor’s book
– e-Journal

– Potential PHP expansion of Website to handle
– Club members info
– Ranking system
– Participation points

– Develop a club logo (also useful for documents, website, and prizegiving/certificates)

6. Regional Council constitution

– Use ours as a base
– Ensure all active clubs have a representative
– No independent elections – council composed of representatives from each affiliated club

– Propose local SAGA Council members, and Regional Council members, be invited to future meetings

7. Guide for new players, covering

– Meeting times and places
– Membership
– Ranks and recording results
– Basics on tournaments
– Pointers to website and mailing list
– 1 A4 page

– Assign someone to make it

8. Proposed prizegiving

-When, and over what period
– Have a full year’s game records
– Propose early in second term, perhaps first week
– Certificates?

– Suggested prizes:
– Most improved: newbie, mid-kyu, high-kyu
– Most active
– Most successive wins
– Most successive losses
– Best win/loss ratio – with min number of games?
– Rank certificates

9. SAGA initiatives:

– Introduction to Go for new member
– 10 sets for school project/tourney play
– Potentially sending library books/books for sale

10. Matters Arising

– Dedicated SAGA nominee on committee

– Negotiating for SAGA Clocks

Minutes of the Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held in the Neelsie at 17h00 on Friday, 28 January 2005

Present: Steve Kroon
David Richfield
Rory Beling

Excused: Daniel Wium (Proxy: None)
Andries Kruger (Proxy: S.Kroon)

1. Steve Kroon opened the meeting.

2. Apologies made for D.Wium and A.Kruger who could not attend meeting.

3. Previous meeting’s minutes where read and ratified.

4. Discussion of points arising from previous meeting’s minutes:
– David has contacted SAGA on affiliating our club and we have been affiliated with SAGA.
– Western Cape Open was scheduled and held successfully.
– David has set up the mailing list, and is in use.
– We have contacted SAGA on purchasing new equipment and we have become stockists of some sets.
– The agreed meeting of the committee in late January was held on the 28 of January.
– The contact person for members interested in buying equipment has changed from D. Wium to S. Kroon.
– The link to the club’s web page has been updated.
– The implementation of Go in schools project has progressed as follows:
– D.Wium is teaching Go to the pupils of Paul Roos Gymnasium.
– Decided not to start with primary schools.

5. A new meeting time for the club was proposed, it was decided that the club meets from 5pm
(Vote was passed on the matter).

6. Paul Roos Gymnasium – Supporting Daniel:

Deferred – Daniel must first indicate in what respects we can support him.

7. Western Cape Open:

David has already booked the library, so it’s all systems go. Steve has contacted the Joburg club to
confirm the date.

8. Maths Olympiad kids:

Steve has contacted most of the kids he could get hold of and passed on the
details of clubs in their vicinity if one exists. He will contact the rest in
due course.

9. Promoting Go to the first years:

No stall is to be held as the club needs to be affiliated with the University.

10. Matters arising:

– Affiliation with US will be discussed at the next meeting in late March 2005.

– David will contact Eikestad News for publicity in a effort to attract new members.

– David will contact SAGA on making T-Shirts with Go on them.

– Steve will contact SAGA on selling Go sets at Wizards.

– It was proposed that a quorum figure of 3 committee members be instituted for
future committee meetings. This was voted on and passed.

– Steve proposed that Go in the Brackenfell/Belville area should be looked at,
times and places that would suit the players in the area, and some assistance
in starting their own club.

– It has been decided that a to-do list should be added to the web page. This
has been left in Steve’s hands.

– David will contact Neelsie management about costs involved/issues with making
presentations in the Neelsie. The idea is to hold a 9×9 demonstration using
polystyrene plates as ishi on the tiles of the Neelsie. We will target quieter
times in the Neelsie, but will have handouts, and people on hand to explain the
game with 9×9 sets. Full sets will also be on sale.

Agenda of the Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held in the Neelsie at 17h00 on Friday, 28 January 2005

0. Apologies

1. Ratifying/reading minutes of previous committee meeting

2. Discussion of points arising from previous meeting minutes

3. Discussion of points arising from 2004 AGM minutes

4. New Meeting time – proposal that the club meets from 5 p.m. again

5. Paul Roos Gymnasium – How to support Daniel, providing boards for the
school, extra classes for schoolkids, and where to next?

6. Western Cape Open venue – considerations for a potentially larger tournament
than last year

7. The Maths Olympiad kids – where do we go with them?

8. Promoting Go to the first years – a stall, or something else?

9. Matters arising

Minutes of the Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held in the Neelsie at 20h00 on Thursday, 2 September 2004

Present: S.Kroon,D.Richfield,D.Wium,A.Kruger,R.Beling

1. The first task of the new committee was to assign their portfolios.

Steve Kroon was nominated for President by David Richfield, and was unanimously elected.

The other portfolios were allocated by discussion as follows (portfolios
mentioned twice would be shared):

D.Richfield – Cape Town & SAGA Laison, Tournaments, Finances and Media
A.Kruger – Tournaments, Finances and Media
S.Kroon – President, Ranking system, Web page
R.Beling – Secretary, Ranking system, Web page
D. Wium – Equipment, New players

2. It was agreed that the members who signed the constitution are considered
founding members and are all accepted as members of the club. People not
present are not considered club members, but can apply informally for
membership. For this, the following criteria were agreed upon for acceptance
in general:

Players shall be accepted as members if
(a) they were previously members of the club, or
(b) they are resident in the Western Cape, and have a game recorded on our
ranking system.

3. Tournaments:

Re: the monthly handicap tournaments – David said he would contact SAGA to find
out where they get clocks, and whether we can obtain from them, or through the
same channels. Clocks would be the biggest obstacle to running tournaments at
our club.

Daniel will find out prices for new clocks, and about borrowing clocks from the
chess groups for tournaments.

We discussed the potential 9×9 blitz tournament to coincide with Carnival, but
it was proposed that it would be better if we rather don’t participate in this,
but instead market the club in other ways. It was unanimously agreed that we
would not run this tournament.

David and Andries will investigate promoting KGS and other Go servers to the
Maties Gaming League, and the possibility of a Go stall for the first-year
students exhibition.

David and Andries will also finalise the date for the Stellenbosch Open ASAP,
and publicise the tournament on the SAGA mailing list.

4. Steve will send email addresses of all members to the rest of the committee.
David will set up a Stellenbosch Go Club mailing list and inform us when it is
operational.

5. New Equipment:

David will contact SAGA about purchasing new equipment, particularly the
situation with respect to cheap sets from the Korean market.

Daniel will be the contact person for members interested in buying new
equipment.

6. David is to contact SAGA about affiliation of our club with them, and find
out if our constitution is satisfactory, and if not, what changes must be made.

David will also contact SAGA to get the link to our web page updated to the new
site.

7. It was agreed that we should schedule another committee meeting in late
January.

Agenda of the Stellenbosch Go Club Committee Meeting held in the Neelsie at 20h00 on Thursday, 2 September 2004

1. Assigning portfolios
-President
-Secretary
-Equipment
-Tournaments
-CT Liaison
-SAGA Liaison
-Media
-Web Page
-Ranking
-Newbies
-Finances

2. Accepting all current members
Discuss membership conditions, including:
-Residence in Stellenbosch/West Cape
-Past membership
-Knowledge of Go

3. Discuss potential tournaments
-Monthly handicap tournaments
-Next year’s 9×9 tournament
-Forthcoming Stellenbosch open (potential dates: 16-17, 23-24, 30-31 October)

4. Plans for new equipment

5. Matters Arising

Posted by Steve as at 3:26 PM, No Comments »